iFLY15 successfully crossing the English channel / world record Attempt Cowes to Dinard / Saint Malo
Crossing the English Channel, 255km offshore foiling through one of the toughest water bodies
Already in summer 2019, a team on iFLY15 has successfully crossed the English Channel via the same route. This official World Sailing WSSRC council route is the longest distance to cross the English Channel, and it is very challenging due to the sea state and the tidal currents. Yo Wiebel and Tamara Baumann mastered on iFLY the long journey without encountering any issues, flying stable over built and choppy seas. What a proof of seaworthiness and reliability! After starting the long day at 2:45am at Stokes Bay Sailing Club, they crossed the starting line at Royal Yacht Squadron (Isla of Wight) at 5:30am. Then crossing the English Channel to Saint Malo, passing by the Cherbourg peninsula and the Channel Islands Alderney and Jersey. During the crossing they made excellent average speeds that were easily fast enough to break the existing world record of 19h42min. Solely a big calm on the last miles paralyzed the progress of our heroes and prevented them from setting a new best mark. They arrived in Saint Malo safely and happy late at night, determined to do it again. Now, in July 2021 it will happen.
The record attempt is made in a very professional way:
- official registration at World Sailing WSSRC, solemn oath taken by John Reed, sealed black box aboard, attestor at departure…
- experienced sailors:
- Yo Wiebel (rounding Cape Horn on a beach catamaran with Franck Gammas // holder of the 24h record https://offshore-foiling.com/herausforderung/ and founder of foiling-school.com)
- Tamara Baumann, 49er sailor from Zurich, Switzerland.
- professional weather and tide routing by Andreas Hanakamp
- long stand-by phase for best weather window
- crossing scheduled for July, taking advantage of long day-light and warm temperatures
- support from Stokes Bay Sailing Club (departure England) und Saint Lunaire Sailing Club (arrival France)
- further, from RYA, Yacht magazine and sponsors
- motorboat accompanying big part of the journey for security and as media boat
- complete and modern security and communication equipment
- online tracking of the journey for spectators